Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Moss Wreath Tutorial




The Changing of the Wreaths. It's that little ceremony that takes place here at our house about this time every year when I remove all traces of Christmas from the front door & in its place hang something nice & green & nondiscriminatory toward the different seasons.

For the past two years, I've used these great standbys. But, this year, I was craving something a little more English Garden-esque. And so I made some simple moss wreaths...



These are easy to make. All you need is a wreath form, some burlap, moss, your glue gun skills & plenty of glue sticks.

I did slightly complicate mine because I couldn't find a wreath form in the size I wanted, but still, it's a project even amateur crafters can do.

Start with a wreath form of some kind. The plain straw wreaths sold at craft stores would be perfect if you can find them in the size you want. I had to get a little creative for mine since I was looking for a 22" form, so I browsed around Lowes & Home Depot & came up with these items:



The tubing was at Lowes in the electrical aisle. It's sold by the foot & can be cut to size.



And the foam pipe insulation is also at either HD or Lowes in the plumbing supplies. It comes in 6' lengths & I bought the one with the self-sealing slit in the back.



Then, with a little duct tape, I created the 22" circle I wanted & then covered it with the foam.







And Voilá! I had a wreath form.



Next, I wrapped the form in strips of burlap using a little hot glue here & there to secure it.




Then, I was ready for the moss. For these wreaths, I recommend using treated Reindeer Moss. It's natural, yet "greened up" somehow with an added element that helps it stay soft. This type of moss seems to last the longest & stay the greenest. The regular price is $4.99 at Hobby Lobby, but you can get it for only $2.50 per bag on weeks when they have their dried naturals on sale. My 22" wreaths took about 3 bags of moss to get them covered.



Use a hot glue gun to adhere the moss onto the wreath, making sure to be generous with the glue so the moss will stay put. This stuff is pretty messy, so you will want to cover your workspace with newspaper or cardboard for easier clean-up.



Just glue away until the front & sides are all covered, then go back & check for bare spots & cover them if needed.




I told you it was simple! I used a strip of burlap layered with ribbon to hang them on my doors. (I use a staple gun to staple the ribbons to the top of my wood door.)





Now I have great basic wreaths that are just right for any time of year. And I can't wait to experiment with a few embellishments for the different seasons. Stay tuned for that!




Hope you like these wreaths! I'm sharing this how-to with a few of these sites.




Pin It

15 comments:

  1. I love them, Julie. I have never worked with reindeer moss but I love the looks of it. It looks like a package goes a long way. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. So classic and elegant, and your front doors are GORGEOUS!! Lovety, love, love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are beautiful. I love your double front doors as well. I just saw the idea of using the foam for wreath forms on Pinterest!
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your doors, and I love the wreaths! I am going to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun. I found your blog by googling magnetic chalkboard images. Now I will definitely stop by more often. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Wow I love them!! I want to make them today!! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look great! thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this look, fabulous on your doors. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so awesome on your doors. I love the natural element of the moss, paired with burlap. It looks amazing together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice and the step by step was well done, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love them!!!! So going to have to make these- very creative!! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, what a great idea on how to make a wreath form! I love the moss...had to give you a feature today! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a dumb question, but you covered the back of the wreath, right?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a dumb question, Brooke! I should have clarified...I only covered the front & sides & left the burlap showing on the back. For doors that do not have glass, I would suggest not covering the back because it would never be seen. For doors like mine with glass, it's a matter of preference.

      Delete
  14. Very English Garden! And easy enough for me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from each of you and will do my best to respond! Thanks so much for stopping by. So glad you're here!