Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Never Mind Roses...I'll Have a Cabbage



Maybe, as usual, I'm just the last to find out about these things, but have you ever in your life laid eyes on an ornamental cabbage?

I stumbled upon some the other day at a garden center & couldn't take my eyes off of them, so I had to bring one home.

The people at the garden center who actually do know a lot about plants told me these are typically planted in the fall & winter to add color to the landscape, but all I could picture was a table-full for a gorgeous fall dinner party.

I asked them about keeping them indoors & they had never heard of anyone doing that, but I decided to give it a try anyway, so I brought one home.



Since I didn't really want the potting soil & the possible bugs on the table, I decided to treat it like a flower & put it in water.

So I wrestled it out of the pot, rinsed off the roots, cut it to the right length, & put it in a vase.




It looks like a humongous purple rose & I love it.




I was warned by the experts that it may start to smell more like a cabbage when it starts to die, but so far, so good. And after several days, it's starting to turn a gorgeous red.



These come in so many different colors & types. Here are just a few more I found...







If you're looking for something a little different for the table, try these!



5 comments:

  1. I love it too. I really admire the pinky-green ones below. Though they are "ornamental", can they also be eaten? That'd be an attractive side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Claire
    I asked the same question! Apparently it is edible, but doesn't taste as good as the traditional varieties. Sure would be pretty on a plate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a creative idea! We get a lot of ornamental cabbages here in Australia, but I would never have thought to put one in a vase of water indoors. Love to know how it turns out. God bless x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea!!! I love kale, but never bring it indoors...gonna try that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great idea! I've seen them in flower beds but never in a vase, love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from each of you and will do my best to respond! Thanks so much for stopping by. So glad you're here!