Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Easy Dormer Window Treatment, Spelled Out in Black & White


So my love affair with Black&White continues. And this time, it's that project I told you I was working on in Lola's room. One day soon I think I'll do a post about Black& White and how much I love it & how I never get sick of it in my house.

But for now, I want you to see my latest project. Honestly, I'm unashamedly in love with it. And yes, I am fully aware that sometimes I'm my own biggest fan & I'm fine with that. In fact, I believe everyone should be a big fan of their own work. After all, that's what makes it their own work. Right? Have I confused you yet?

So here it is, an awning window treatment in (what else?) Black&White stripes...


I was going for the look of a Parisian cafe awning & had envisioned this for this dormer window for months. So, finally I decided to order the fabric & get it done. The fabric I found was perfect for the project. Click here to get some for yourself. The only other things I used were drapery lining, 2 tension rods, & a little grosgrain ribbon.

The total time for this awning was only 2 hours from start to finish. Super easy! Here's what I did:

I cut the fabric & drapery lining to the width & length I needed for the dormer window, adding allowances for seams & a rod pocket at the top.



Next, I made a pattern for the scalloped edge & cut them out...




Then, I just sewed it up, flipped it inside out, pressed it, & made a rod pocket at the top for a tension rod to slip thru.



Then, I measured how far I wanted it to drop at the scalloped edge, & sewed on a few loops made of grosgrain ribbon onto the back to slip the second tension rod in place.





Here are a few more shots of it...



Look how well it matches her Scenes of Paris art...



And here's a view from the inside...


Do you love it? Lola does...



And of course, so do I. Stay tuned for the next big project I have planned for her room. And I'll give you a hint: it's Black&White!

To see more of Lola's room, click here.

Sharing my latest fave with some of these people.




Roomspiration



26 comments:

  1. Love it! Now you just need a little cafe set in that alcove and she's all set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! My children's rooms have those same little alcoves and that is a great idea to decorate them...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so stinkin CUTE! love it! awesome great job and your little one looks like she's pretty happy about it too :) cutie pie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute idea!!! I would love to do this in my bathroom with a shower curtain!! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable. I think she needs a window seat too!
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete
  6. so very cute!! love it!! makes me want a girl to decorate for. And I love what "Faith's Place" said. Has me wondering if I could do this in my bathroom.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so adorable, I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely love this- I have been thinking of making some awning type window treatments myself. Love the black and white- perfect! Sharing this on Facebook- thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omigoodness, I just did this EXACT same thing last week, tension rods and all. I saw an inspiration photo that didn't use tension rods and figured that was the best way to get the effect without fancy hardware. I've never seen it anywhere else, so what a fun little surprise to run across your adorable black and white version. Bravo! Very well done, indeed!
    If you want to see my version, go here: http://www.fivedaysfiveways.com/2011/06/indoor-awning-tutorial-giveaway-winner.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sweet! I have plans to make something very similar for my kitchen as well. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always liked this kind of window treatment but would have had no idea how to accomplish getting it. Thanks for sharing. Ultimately, you had me with that black and white awning stripe. Love it
    Pam @ BeColorful

    ReplyDelete
  12. She definitely loves it! I love it, too! You used a great technique---someone sewing-ignorant like me could even do it! Great, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! We are moving in a few weeks and the master suite is a refinished attic with three dormer windows that I had no clue what to do with! Now I'll just have to find some fabric thats maybe a little bit more grown up.... or maybe not! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is really adorable. I'm going to try this. Thanks for the tutorial!

    -http://designpardeux.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute! I love the yellow and black curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A. dor. Able!! Great job, it adds so much character!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is so sweet!!! I wish there were more pictures! (c: The awning turned out absolutely fantastic and oh-so-paris! So glad you linked up to the party so I could find you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great way to give that area some life. Brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute window awning that you have there. Just divine, goes well with room theme.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the idea!! It inspired me to create our own nautical version of it! I just posted it in my blog ^_^

    http://www.decordearly.com/2013/04/nautical-decor-reading-nook.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. How cute and clever!! Love it! Lola is a lucky little girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. perfect what I was looking for and I love the colors.I guess you could do this for a mother in law window or attic window whatever they're called the upstairs of a home the basically you turn into like the office that's what I want to use mine for or have someone make it for me I can't make anything so hats off to you young lady clever clever

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from each of you and will do my best to respond! Thanks so much for stopping by. So glad you're here!