Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

American Flag Bunting Bliss



Only a few more days until the Fourth of July and all the fireworks, cook-outs, & flag-wavin'. But that's still plenty of time to get busy decking your halls with the red, white, & blue if you haven't already. I just finished making a little bunting that's been on my mental Pinterest board since I made my little flag art for my summer shelves. Click here if you missed that, but here's the latest:



For some reason, I can't get enough of buntings and pennants around here lately. They seem to make everything a little happier and they're so easy to make!

If you want an American Flag bunting like mine, here's what to do:

Determine your desired number of pennants (depending on how long you want your bunting) & cut them out of canvas (of course I used left-over drop cloth canvas). My pennants are approximately 6" wide by 8" long and my total cord length is about 6 ft from end to end.


Next, cut your flag pieces out of scraps of red & blue fabrics.


Then lay the pieces out carefully on the pennant to form your flag & sew them on with a simple straight stitch.




Repeat this for all of your pennants, then attach it to your cord or jute by folding over the top of the pennant about a half inch & sewing. This will form a casing for the pennants to slide back & forth on & allow for adjusting later. If you find that your pennants curl up, starch & press them from the back to crisp them up a little.




And if you really don't want to sew, use some fabric glue to put it all together.

That's it, y'all! Just hang it up, invite your friends & family, & throw the burgers on the grill. And what's great about a bunting is that it's so easy to take with you if you take your picnic on the road!





These little flags can be sewn onto everything from kids' t-shirts to napkins & tablecloths. What could you use them for?

I'm spreading this little piece of American bliss with a few of these people. Check them out!






17 comments:

  1. CUTE CUTE!

    swirlsofhappy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie- Those are really, really cute! Love the way the flag is made by just those strips! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore this! LOVE! Christie at Three Pixie Lane

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE THIS!

    Thank you for sharing your tutorial with us at the Fine Craft Guild linky party for 4th of July goodness, http://www.finecraftguild.com/fourth-july-party-ideas/ .

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute.
    acraftycook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your bunting. It's so cute and has just the feel of traditional America!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so cute!! you could do one bigger pennant and hang on the front door! that's what I'd like to do! thanks for sharing ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. just perfect! I linked to you as one of my 4th of July Tutorial Favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  11. cute! I would love it if you would link up to my Tuesday Confessional link party going on now: http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/07/tuesday-confessional-link-up-2.html. I hope to see you soon!
    ~Macy from Confessions of a SAHM

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are great! I thought you painted those flags on until I saw your tutorial. Sewing is even better, what a great feel. The banner cut is unique, too. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my goodness.... so great!!! i wish i could rewind july so i could make these for the holiday! on my must list for next year. too cute. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is simple and festive. Love it! I hope you'll link up to my Patriotic Project Parade going on now through July 4th.

    http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2012/06/patriotic-project-parade-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from each of you and will do my best to respond! Thanks so much for stopping by. So glad you're here!