Pages

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Sugar Wonderland Christmas Shelves




This is the second season that I've had my breakfast room shelves to decorate. My husband & I made them back in the fall (you can read about that here) and they make such a great versatile space for switching out seasonal decor. It's a lot of fun. But--it's also kind-of an event. It's actually like 7 feet of space, so it takes a little thought to plan out how to fill it all up. I loved this little glittery sign I found at Target a couple weeks ago & so I used it for inspiration to get me started.



From there, I just gathered stuff from all over my house & my stash of Christmas decor & pulled it all together, arranging & rearranging until it spoke to me. In the end I ended up with a kind-a Sugar Wonderland theme. Mmmmm.

Here are all the little components...

Gingerbread houses that are actually treat boxes that I found at Target ($2.50 for 6). I added a little ribbon & trim & they turned out just yummy.



A turquoise frame that I borrowed from this wall. I just hammered a tiny nail in the top of the frame & hung a bright pink ornament from it with a little ribbon. So easy!




A few little ornaments that I had bought for "just in case" because I loved them so much. The pink cake stand is from Hobby Lobby & the mixer is from Target. The gingerbread man in the back was one of a set that was always on our tree growing up. I guess that makes it vintage.




My chalkboard that's usually in the kitchen, but I moved it here for Christmas & added a scrapbook paper banner made with plain cotton twine from the Dollar Store. Love these banners! Just glue the papers on--they're so easy to make.




I also added a little tree that I stuck in a white bucket & hung my favorite colored ornaments that I've had for years.


On the table, I kept with the same colors & used another gingerbread house & a jar of gumballs for color. (Ever notice how these gumballs look so much better than they taste?)




And the last little part is this Charlie-Brown-Meets-Martha-Stewart twig tree. Yes, it's a twig, which I painted pale blue with craft paint & then sprinkled on some of Martha's super-fine silver glitter on top of the "branches". You can barely even see it in the picture because it's so thin! I cut the ornaments out of a piece of glittered scrapbook paper that had the ornaments printed on it. Yes, it's wacky, but I think I love it.





So, thanks for stopping by! There's more Christmas to come! I'm linking this up with Rhoda's Vignette Party here, & some of my other favorite parties. Check them out here!




21 comments:

  1. So pretty and bright and cheery!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what you did with the shelving! The turquoise frame looks great with the ornament dangling down. I'm using a lot of the brighter colors this year from Target too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3 Love it <3 now I want shelves in my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks so happy and bright! i love the bunting on the chalboard- that's my favorite touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's so adorable and cheery. Just how Christmas should be :)
    love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you decorated your shelves. The turquoise frame with the ornament is a real eye catcher and I lust love that chalkboard! You did a fabulous job pulling it off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute!!! I love all the colorful little details!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job...and I, personally, LOVE your wacky tree! And I also love those little ornaments-the mixer and domed cake pedestal- Soooo cute! Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww so cute!!! I love it all! The little mixer is adorable. And I really love the red cake stand on the table. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks great! i love how you decorated and accessorized those shelves...i want to try some shelves like this in the kitchen, but i don't want them to get all junked up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So fun! O really with I had a mantel to play with! Great job! I would love for you to come visit me at Sew Chatty and link up to Made with Love Monday! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks so sweet! Cute idea hanging the ornament inside the frame :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Christmas at your house is so colorful. I love those punches of turquoise and pink and red. Charming and a bit outside the box.
    Then again, I love color.
    Pam @ Becolorful :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I love this shelf! Your colors are wonderful with the red and turquoise. Love all the little details like the mixer. I think I need a little shelf like this for my very own! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so cute! I think I might try to recreate something like that. For some reason, it just speaks to me!
    Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just lovely. And those ornaments are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So fun! I love all the bright colors your used and I'm a sucker for a chalkboard (:

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from each of you and will do my best to respond! Thanks so much for stopping by. So glad you're here!