Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

This Autumn Wreath is Not Like the Others


I'm curious about how far you all take your fall decorating? Are you the type that adds a touch of fall to every room right down to the leaf-printed napkins? Or do you set a pumpkin on the porch & call it a day?

I'm somewhere in between. I've been adding a little "fall" to the main rooms of the house, but by the time I decked out the front door, the kitchen, & the living room, red & orange & brown were begging for mercy.

So, I had a "Hmm...What If?" moment & took a quick trip to the Dollar Store to see if I could make my idea work. I had started out looking for a simple leaf wreath, which they didn't have, so I found this leaf garland & bought 2 packs to create my own basic wreath.


I used a few short lengths of floral wire to secure the garland together where needed, & formed my simple wreath.



After that, I used the hot glue gun to help flatten down the leaves & turn most of them face up.


At this point, I had a great little traditional wreath. And if that's what you're looking for, just hang this up, have a pumpkin latte, put your feet up, & you're ready for fall.

But, I decided to go on with my crazy plan, so I took a can of ivory Krylon spray paint & gave it the white treatment, wondering all the time if this project would ever actually see the light of day inside the house.

But when it was done, I actually loved it! I hung it on my dining room mirror with an orange ribbon, & fall had come to the dining room. And the best little {accidental} surprise is that there is just a hint of the traditional fall color reflecting off of the mirror from the back of the wreath. It fits great in there. And white once again proves to the world that it is indeed a color...even for the fall!





I'm linking this wreath up with some other fall ideas at some of these sites & Hooked on Houses! Check them out!

28 comments:

  1. Nice! What a lovely way to bring fall in, and in such a classy way. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! What a difference a coat of white spray paint can make. Thank you for sharing. I found this at It's So Very Creative.

    Hugs,
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your crazy idea moment! It looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! It looks beautiful hanging against the mirror. I'm visiting from It's so very creative.
    Liz
    http://projectnaptime.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so very pretty, what a great way to 'dress them up'. Love the ribbon color you used too. Just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw these at the dollar store the other day too and had the same idea to spray paint them white(I'm think I'm addicted to painting everything white) lol. But I'm glad to see how nice they turned out. Thanks for the post! They look lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh! So painting the $-tree leaf thingys....DUH! I have hit a bit of a creative snag!! GREAT IDEA!!

    To answer your question, as much as I inspire to add a touch of the season to every visited place in my house, I regretfully admit to being a "Plop-The-Pumpkin-on-the-Porch" kind of gal!!

    Oneday......

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute! I'm planning my trip to the dollar store right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in love with your wreath! I love my orange berries in my current fall wreath, but it isn't showing up on my stained wood door. However, this would! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This may be an obvious question, but how do you have the ribbon hanging at the top? Is it secured to the back of the mirror (if so, with what?) or to the wall??
    I have a mirror in my family room over the couch that looks very similar to yours and am thinking I see a trip to Dollar Tree in my future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @traci in virginia
    My mirror frame is wood, so I just stuck a thumbtack thru the ribbon on top. Sometimes you can thread the ribbon in between the mirror & frame & actually tie it on top if there is a little gap between there. Hope that helps you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very, very neat idea! I love that the unexpected bonus was the reflection of Fall from the mirror! Love it! Diana

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is something surprising about this more than the color - I am not sure but it looks absolutely wonderful in your house.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soo pretty!!! Not much fall decor this year, so I'm enjoying everyone elses! I'm packing it all! :)
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this idea...Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE it!!!! The ribbon pops and the white with the fall colors reflecting is beautiful. Definitely need to steal this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely, just lovely. I adore the way it hangs on your mirror.

    I am lovin' your blog! Come by and visit sometime over at Free 2 Be Frugal.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your wreath. It would fit so easily into my decor!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i've been debating on painting a similar wreath white...and now i'm definitely going for it! thank you for posting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have thought this was beautiful since you posted it. I used it as inspiration to make my own version. I hope you don't mind, but I linked back to you in my post. Hope you can check it out.
    http://bitsandpiecesofthebetterlife.blogspot.com/2010/10/simple-fall-projects-part-iv-another.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. What? No more fall projects using "the book"? I was amazed with all you could create! You're pretty amazing. And if you can take any project, and make it more complicated, I always find the most direct path from point A to point B. There's more than one way to "skin a cat"... (now there's a nice saying!)
    Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from each of you and will do my best to respond! Thanks so much for stopping by. So glad you're here!